140 Years of Redlands
This year we celebrate 140 years since Redlands was originally established as the College for Girls on 14 July, 1884 in Fitzroy Street, Milson’s Point by co-principals Elizabeth Liggins and Clara Arnold. There were just five students on the first day. Today, Redlands has over 1,800 students enrolled from Redlands House Preschool to Year 12.
For 140 years, Redlands has provided an exceptional education to generations of young Australians. This significant milestone provides a wonderful opportunity for our Redlands community to reflect on the School’s illustrious history.
Established in 1884
1884: The College for Girls opens in Milson’s Point with five students
1899: The School moves to Redlands, a large house on Military Road and officially changes its name to College for Girls, Redlands
1911: Miss GA (Amy) Roseby and her sisters buy the School, which is now named Redlands
1923: The Liggins Building officially opens to accommodate the Junior School and boarders and ensures the School is contained in one site
1934: The School celebrates its 50 Year Anniversary with a 50th Jubilee Fete, seen in the video above
1945: Redlands is sold to Sydney Church of England Girls’ Grammar School
1966: Redlands Hall opens, originally known as the Assembly Hall
1976: The School is incorporated as SCEGGS Redlands Limited and returns to independent governance
1978: Redlands introduces coeducation, with the first boys admitted in the Secondary, Junior and Preparatory Schools
1984: The School celebrates its Centenary
1990: The Cremorne Campus (now Junior Campus) opens
1996: Redlands High Country Campus, outside Jindabyne, opens for the first Winter School held onsite
2020: The Redlands Learning Hub opens on the Senior Campus
Throughout 2024, we will be celebrating our 140 year history and heritage. Find out more information on these celebrations and our history here.
Events and Celebrations
Redlands will be hosting a wide variety of events throughout the school year to commemorate our 140 Years Anniversary. Check back soon for a list of upcoming events that will pay homage to our remarkable history.
An Illustrious History
Redlands has an illustrious history, dating back to the School’s opening in 1884 as the College for Girls in Milsons Point. Since then, Redlands has established itself as a school that develops well-rounded, confident and compassionate young adults who are ready to make a successful transition to life after school and a contribution to their local, national and global communities.
Read more of our distinguished history by viewing the historical timeline of Redlands.
The careers and lives of Redlands 10,000+ Alumni are diverse, intriguing and successful. Many of our Redlanders have achieved remarkable accomplishments through their chosen professions, with our Alumni community spanning across the globe in a vast array of fields of expertise. Read more about the exceptional accomplishments of our Alumni.